Choosing the right size light fixture for your space involves considering the size of the room, the height of the ceiling, and the function of the room. Here are some steps you can follow to help you choose the right size light fixture:
- Determine the size of the room: Measure the length and width of the room in feet and then add those two numbers together to get the room's size in square feet.
- Determine the ceiling height: Measure the height of the ceiling from the floor to the ceiling.
- Consider the function of the room: Different rooms have different lighting needs. For example, a dining room might require a larger, more decorative fixture than a hallway.
- Use the following guidelines to choose the appropriate size light fixture:
- For a room with a ceiling height of 8 feet, choose a fixture that is 7 inches to 20 inches in diameter.
- For a room with a ceiling height of 9 feet, choose a fixture that is 9 inches to 22 inches in diameter.
- For a room with a ceiling height of 10 feet, choose a fixture that is 10 inches to 24 inches in diameter.
- For a room with a ceiling height of 11 feet or higher, add an additional 3 inches to the diameter of the fixture for every foot of ceiling height.
Keep in mind that these are general guidelines, and your specific space may require a larger or smaller fixture depending on the style, shape, and amount of light needed.